Understanding the environmental impact of every decision throughout your entire supply chain can be a real challenge. But it doesn’t always have to be. Making more sustainable choices is much easier when the facts are presented to you in a clear and relatable way. In this article, I’d like to introduce you to our Green Solutions and their many benefits.
Transportation is a core element of our society and we must continue improving it together
There is a lot of pressure on companies, in all sectors, to reduce their environmental impact. Not least when it comes to transportation and logistics. Some are even cutting back their overall flow of goods by rethinking how and where their products are manufactured. But at the end of the day, transportation is the foundation of any economy and one of the core elements of our society.
Which is also why, as a society, we need to focus on identifying and adopting new, more sustainable methods of transportation. It is also why sectors that are heavily dependent on transportation need to continue re-evaluating their options and make even more sustainable choices.
Look at your logistics options and consider the impact of each choice
Making sustainable choices begins with knowledge. You have to understand your own needs, market constraints and timelines. Then look at the options available to you and consider how each individual choice might affect your business and how it might impact the environment. In other words: identify, prioritise and constantly reassess. For example, by:
Optimising Avoid unnecessary transportation, i.e. increase load factors, use appropriate modes for each stage and further utilise logistical planning.
Modal shifts Shift to more environmentally smart transportation modes and new multimodal combinations.
Improving Continue to improve and develop transportation technology together. Joint efforts and collaborations lead to innovations like biofuel and more efficient modes of transport, which ultimately reduces our combined environmental impact and prevents climate change.
Effortless environmental optimisation with Green Solutions
Green Solutions is all about making it easier for our customers to be more sustainable. By opening up our archives and sharing our extensive knowledge on the subject, our customers can now easily identify which logistics options are more sustainable, which are most cost effective and which are fastest. As well as how each parameter would affect the others.
Logistics providers and freight forwarders can help companies make more sustainable choices
The role of freight forwarders has changed drastically over the years. Originally, companies would consult their logistics provider for all of their transportation needs. Then the internet came along, and larger organisations were suddenly able to coordinate many of the simpler consignments themselves.
Now that climate change has begun complicating things, however, more and more companies are once again looking to logistics providers to help them.
Providing a wide range of Green Solutions for more than 20 years
At Greencarrier Freight Services, we’ve spent more than 20 years helping retailers, grocery chains, manufacturers and so many more organisations, across all industries and on all continents, find more sustainable and more economical ways of transporting their goods. For example:
- Short sea shipping – Shipping by sea over shorter distances is a great way to cut your CO₂ emissions – and save money. Did you know, for example, that you will reduce your CO₂ by 70% (and your freight costs) if you choose to transport those skinny black jeans from Portugal to Stockholm by sea instead of by road? With almost no difference to your delivery time.
- Sustainable road freight – Our UK fleet of Euro Class 6 trucks is more fuel efficient, runs on biofuel, has lower CO₂ emissions and is equipped with monitoring and tracking technology, which in itself contributes to greater efficiency and sustainability.
- Rail freight – When sea shipping is not an option, due to time limitations for example, rail freight or a combination of rail and air freight are more sustainable than air freight alone. For example, an air freight consignment from China to Northern Europe consumes 139 tons of CO₂. Whereas by rail, that consignment would consume only 5 tons of CO₂.
- Multimodal solutions – Combining different transportation modes enables us to find the most sustainable option for each leg of the journey. Our intermodal solution is, for example, the best option when transporting goods to and from Turkey. With that particular solution, which involves rail and sea shipping, you can cut your CO₂e emissions by up to 56%.
- Less than container load (LCL) – Combining your cargo with other consignments to make up a full container load (FCL) is not only more convenient, it can also save you a lot of money. Not to mention the positive impact on the environment.
We hope that having our full range of transportation options presented to you in a simple, digestible and relatable way will help to make your environmental optimisation work effortless in future – for you and your entire organisation.
If you’re interested in reducing your environmental impact and want help making more sustainable choices, we’d love to hear from you.